Sly Meat Humor from the New York Times Book Review
The above image of a decapitated pig went along with the New York Times Book Review's writeup of Jonathan Safran Foer's anti-carnivore polemic Eating Animals (Amazon). The caption reads "Illustration by Paul Sahre" but Joshua David Stein says that "a real pig's head was used." Anyone have a dead-tree version of the Book Review section? Please, send in a photo.
Update 11/17/09: Nicholas Blechman, Art Director for the New York Times Book Review, tells us: "It’s a photo, but there was some tweaking in photoshop, so technically we have to call it an 'illustration.'"
Update 11/16/09: Here's a photo of the art in the print edition:
Earlier on Eat Me Daily
- Anthony Bourdain and Jonathan Safran Foer on Larry King Live's 'Is Meat Safe?' Panel
- Offal of the Week: Five Chefs Who Embrace The Nasty Bits
- Jamie's America New York City Episode Shows Scary Inner Workings of a Queens Slaughterhouse [video]
- Offal of the Week: Pig Tail and Ear
- Offal of the Week: Hog's Head