AM Linksplodge 12/22/09
- Above: From Wired: How to Win an Eating Contest. Illustration by Lab Partners.
- Dave Arnold from the FCI explains that the way we're taught to sauté mushrooms is wrong: "If you want the highest quality mushrooms what you want to do is soak your mushrooms and then crowd the hell out of them in a pan."
- NYT Science section: vegetables are more complicated than we think: "Just because we humans can’t hear them doesn’t mean plants don’t howl." Some plants release chemicals that attract predatory insects to take care of insects that are attacking them.
- Jay Rayner calls Jamie Oliver one of the icons of the decade.
- Gawker: The Goldman Sachs Coffee Conspiracy: "According to a mole, Goldman apparently stocks the cheapest, worst generic coffee imaginable in its staff kitchens." Employees are then forced to buy coffee from Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts in the company cafeteria.