Trash to Treasure: The Cathedral of Junk in Austin, Texas
The Cathedral of Junk in Austin, Texas is exactly what it sounds like: a three-story structure built out of everything and the kitchen sink. Vince Hanneman started building the Cathedral in his backyard 22 years ago, and since then has utilized refrigerators, ovens, cutlery and bundt pans to expand it to epic proportions.
Unfortunately, as with most things that are totally awesome, the man is trying to bring it down. The city got wind of it and are now threatening to bulldoze the structure if Hanneman can't bring it up to code. If you're in Austin and want to help out, contact Save the Junk. If not, enjoy the kitchen junk pictures below and send Hanneman and company good thoughts.
Earlier on Eat Me Daily
- Food Packaging Monster Attacks French Supermarket [video]
- Tamales for Christmas: A Texas Holiday Tradition
- Canstruction Austin 2009 [can sculptures, food art]
- Deep-Fried Butter Balls at the Texas State Fair
- Pie for Life! One Pie, Every Month, For the Rest of Your Life: Royers Cafe in Round Top, Texas