Jan Švankmajer's Stop-Motion Short Film Food [videos]
Ready to watch something pretty weird? Famous for his stop-motion animation, Czech director Jan Švankmajer's 1992 short film Food depicts three restaurant meals and the diners who eat them. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner feature people dying and coming back to life, eating non-food items like utensils and tablecloths, and practicing cannibalism and self-mutilation. Švankmajer originally conceived the project in the 1970s but feared the tempestuous political climate of the time. Prepare yourself for some heady, Eastern Bloc weltschmerz below. (warning: Lunch is slightly NSFW, Dinner is definitely NSFW.)
Earlier on Eat Me Daily
- William Safire and the Kitchen Debates: The Model Kitchen at the American National Exhibit in Moscow, 1959
- Sound-Activated Dancing Pork Chop [video]
- Logorama Wins Oscar for Best Animated Short Film [video]
- Johnny Walker Short Film: 'The Man Who Walked Around The World'
- The Short Film Hala Hala's Uncommon Economic Indicator at the Blackout Film Festival NYC